lemonpie dreams

i've never tasted one but they sound delicious

Thursday, October 12, 2006

SUBJECT FROM THE MEDIA

A couple of weeks ago I watched an Oprah kind of imitation show in one of the Greek networks and the shocking story made me want to post something in order to point out some wonders I had, but I then didn’t cause I was afraid that I’d just “talk” in general and with no actual purpose and significance so I dropped it. But this Monday when I read what the prompt was all about I thought that I should use the issue as my subject, believing that in this way it makes sense to refer few of the things I watched.
So, here is the narrated story by that, obviously kind of retarded, woman at that show which made think some things.
Well, she said that she had killed her own child when it was only two or three and now she’s out of jail only having been in there for, I guess if I remember correctly, about seven years.
The whole story made think of the following (except for that there’s no justice in the world; can you believe it? Sentenced only for seven years for claiming the life of her child… is that a sufficient punishment or enough time for reformation, no matter which her alibis, I can see other than paranoia probably, might were?) : a) are people fully responsible for their acts or the main part depends on the environment they have grown, their nature, their intelligence or the lack of it, or anyway the exterior elements/circumstances that have shaped their idiosyncrasy?
b) Can people who have done really awful actions that are inhuman or against the law ever overcome them just by suffering for some time what law obliges them to do (spending time in jail, the most common) or they are always caring in the shoulders the burden of remorse?

So, in this poem I tried to deal with these two things: the two opinions about, until which level someone can say he’s not responsible for his own actions* and if no matter the punishment, how elastic or harsh it is, can a person ever be able to feel weightless again in truth, after having done something so outrageously bad and abnormal.

*I believe we are fully responsible for whatever we do, good or bad, because the exterior elements that are shaping us and making us to a point who we really are, can always be filtered from the individuals, and those elements are consisting in the end who we really are in the total, so it’s us not something outside us.

PS God I could never study sociology (back in high school I wanted to) cause just by this issue it seems to me that it is such a difficult science having to do with all these troubling matters.

Can you believe that I didn’t want to write so much in the first place and I just only intended to do a small introductory reference for that show? Enough, let’s get to the poem…

Dazzling Aphrodite cursed apostate

Dazzling Aphrodite
Why have you enchanted
All of those men?
You are probably mistaken
It was my beauty
It was not me

Cursed apostate
Why have you betrayed
All of those loyal men?
You are probably mistaken
I did it for the money
And my family
I didn’t do it for me

Dazzling Aphrodite
And how do you sleep
Knowing that those men’s wives
Shed tears in your name?
You are probably
Too innocent
And too far to see

Cursed apostate
And how don’t you weep
Knowing that those men’s families
Shed tears in their past virility winning- fame?
You can’t be blamed
For being incompetent
Comprehending the burden of being me


And because it’s got so typical of me to post two poems occasionally, here is one I won’t think twice if I should post it or not cause I would do the second and I consider it is rather funny not say silly. I hope it’s amusing anyhow…

Life must be a joke

Two flies are doin’ it
Right there on my left shoe
This must be it
This must be the greatness of life

And two infidel penguins
Are exiled
In the Southest part of North Pole
This must be it
This must be the greatness of love

And while I was expecting a promotion
I got dismissed
From my formerly established job
Well, this must be it
This must be the greatest of all

1 Comments:

  • At 8:34 PM, Blogger turquoise cro said…

    Yes! Who do we blame? Not ourselves, never ourselves it seems anymore! The world is sooooo violent! WHO do we blame? I need to go into some deep woods THINK TANK for all the world's answers! Ha! Why am I in good spirits most of the time! THANK GOD! That's who helps me, I'm a praying machine but still don't pray enough! I woke up this morning with the words, "HEY YOU!" Now my son checked our downstairs basement door and the locks are all messed up and jammed soooo was it a dream or was someone about to try and rob us?! It's Friday the 13th but I am not superstitious! Have a SWEET week+ too!!! and keep writing!!! lemonpie dreamer!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Web Counter
Web Counter