lemonpie dreams

i've never tasted one but they sound delicious

Friday, October 06, 2006

BODY

Ok... this time I decided that I should follow the prompt though I couldn't get that inspired (I mean, I don't think that the outcome, the poem down below, is the best I could write, but I guess I' m not that bothered by that). The "body" as an issue is so interesting and controversial because there are so many opinions about it, but all of them come around two main scopes. Some neglect it and some praise it. I support the latter perception.
There are religions that tell people to starve themselves and punish their bodies and make it suffer so that they can find peace and salvation at the after life. There are magazines and the media that force young girls in a very sly way to go skinny. There are people who feel ugly and can't stand themselves because the picture they have in their minds about how they should look, it's not the one they face when they look at the mirror. And there are those who declare that the body is the temple of the soul and so on and on.
For me, the body is a tool, a vehicle, a medium to feel and express my feelings, a wise mechanism and so many other things I can't think of right now....Anyway, the poem that comes after was written not only because I wanted to overcome my last afternoon tendency to stay idle by using this way as an exercise for my bored brain but primarily because I wanted to find out which my aspect specifically is about the theme and how I could express it through this form....


It could most likely be this

They tried to hide their emotions
In scraps made of cotton or silk
And for a while
They covered their weaknesses
By working out countless hours at the gym

Neglect and punishment
But they’re still at the same skin
Wise but hurt from junk food and nicotine
If only they could take a moment and let it speak

I wonder if they never had a scar
Which made them seem special and unique
I wonder if they’ve never been the lovers
Who seem like one person while they sleep

So obscure, so beautiful,
So powerful
Like almost, as a small miracle is

I wonder if they never had a wound
Which healed alone, just by the help of time
I wonder if they’ve seen the mothers
Who hold their newborns for the very first time

So close, so mysterious,
Such tense
Like almost, as electricity is

It could be this
Nothing but pure electricity…

It could most likely be this…

3 Comments:

  • At 7:59 PM, Blogger turquoise cro said…

    Phew! and how old are you??? You seem to be a more mature 22 year old! to write this, Yes! Powerful, I wonder if we now have some kind of connection, the poetry connection, because I woke up this morning with 2 lines on my mind, Word Silence, Powerful heart,and then I read your poem which is powerful in itself! I LOVED the mother with the newborn! Yes! It was like tense, beautiful and powerful! and going to the gym to hide their weaknesses! and the materials to cover their emotions, YOU know I'm your fan!Your poems are like pure electricity! There are many truths in this poem and you surprised me because you are so young but know these things! and don't worry, I won't put you on the spot anymore about writing a poem, sometimes I don't feel like Blogging so don't worry, you will never hurt my feelings by not posting! Being a fan though, I look forward to seeeeeee what you have written! Are you writing a book? I've glanced around your Blog but haven't been here long enough to seeee, who has the time??? I wish I had more time to read but you know how the internet is! Life, real life is time consuming too! Happy Week-end!

     
  • At 2:01 AM, Blogger mareymercy said…

    An interesting take on the prompt. I like how the poem turns on the idea of scars/imperfection, and how that truly makes a soul.

     
  • At 4:10 PM, Blogger Doe said…

    I like your style; particularly in this one… captivating!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Web Counter
Web Counter