lemonpie dreams

i've never tasted one but they sound delicious

Sunday, January 07, 2007

TO THE CITIES

This was a great weekend! I can say I really enjoyed it, as I enjoy this very moment, feeling clean after a hot bath, drinking coffee and typing… reporting my urban adventures… Not the kind of wild adventures but invigorating none the less…
So, as I was saying I visited a couple of relatives and friends of mine who live in Athens, I love being there, and I just got back. Athens… Athens… Every time I find myself there I feel like I’m back to civilization again. Compared to the majority of the rest of the European capitals I know that Athens is still quite primitive; ok, Olympics 2004 kind of improved the situation a little bit, but still the city is still quite primitive, though, compared to my 3000 populated hometown and the 80000 populated city I study for the time being, a trip to Athens is indeed a trip to the civilization…

On the way back, we detoured a little bit from the highway and we crossed the city I used to live in for about two years. This is where I used to study also along my sister and I hadn’t been there for a long time, two years I think…
I loved it walking at the streets I walked before so much time and have good memories from… Unfortunately, it was a very short visit but I did discern a couple of things that have changed in the space between. For example, minor but striking difference, is that the video club, we used to rent DVDs (it was tapes back then, but anyway) closed… That’s a shame really…
The important thing though, is that while being there I thought that sometimes a memory, a place we used to live and have abandoned for a reason, a scent, or even a route with the bus we used to take so often can become palpable again so easily…
I don’t know if letting our memories in the dust is the only thing we should do because life flows so fast, but I like remembering things… I like remembering the pleasant ones…
As for that time, it was wild I think and I feel glad it was… I was only 18, I was feeling like the protégé of the company, happened to be the very youngest one, and I liked it, now that I think about it, we were clubbing all the time, we were learning from each other and from our experiences, we were living alone for the first time in our lives, we didn’t mind how much money we had inside our pockets to have a good time…
See? I guess getting some things out of the dust may is not such a waste of time…if you know that you have to leave them back again once they seem so overwhelming and enticing…

Road trip pictures:



Athens suburb... posh and seaside...


The central park at the city I used to study...


A lake on our way...


Me...

7 Comments:

  • At 2:52 PM, Blogger White Square said…

    Hi,
    Oh! How good were those old days
    lots of sun, lots of time
    without any worries
    Oh!! how good were those old days!

    Lovely pics Yieong!
    How can I send you a mail?!
    Cheers!

     
  • At 4:57 AM, Blogger madd said…

    Thanks for taking me along on your trip to Athens...sounds like a good time albeit short. It is fun to go back to places that were part of you life and see just how much they have changed..and the memories they bring back to us in a smell, that certain sound you will find only there, the silly little shop or cafe...I am glad you enjoyed it..take care..m

     
  • At 6:51 AM, Blogger turquoise cro said…

    O lemonpie man, you look soooo pensive(my old dictionary says pensive is :to think, weigh, 1.Musingly or dreamily thoughtful. 2. Expressing or suggesting dreamy, thoughtfulness with a touch of sorrow) in that pic!(I had to look it up to seeeeeee if that's what I really meant to say! lol) Cheer up! That road trip did you good! I LOVE road trips! I've been wanting to take one to NY city! or maybe Nashville, I'd LOVE to go sit in some old honky tonk bars and listen for a fiddle player! I love the fiddle, my dad who is now 80 years old still plays!) Nothing wrong in remembering the days when we were 18! You are already talking like you are an old man! How sweet YOU are! Phew! I can't wait to come here and read of you falling madly in love! Take care, xo, Cinda

     
  • At 8:25 AM, Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said…

    What beautiful pictures, Yio together with your sentimental post. I think a lake on our way is my favourite snapshot. Also, I didn't know that about Athens. And glad you had a good weekend. Thanks for sharing. :-)

     
  • At 5:45 AM, Blogger BendingPeak said…

    Wonderful photos.

     
  • At 9:20 AM, Blogger Pallav said…

    woah man the lake picture is ethereal!
    N

     
  • At 3:10 PM, Blogger Doe said…

    great snaps!!!
    i liked the wisdom tree as
    well,unique style as always..
    i especially liked this bit:

    "The sun was shining
    But I couldn't feel less happier
    Even if the strongest storm was there to stare and interact;"

    peace

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Web Counter
Web Counter